Thursday 9 April 2015

Morning whispers (poem)

This is a poem which won the first prize in my college's poetry writing competition, decades ago, when I was in the final year of my BA. I thought it was crap, at that time, and guess what?? I still do. Why I'm blogging it?? Just to sorta have my writing down on record....maybe when I'm a famous writer one day you can get down to this and say "Hey, after crap like this if she can be famous, then why not me?"

And then again, one needs to understand the circumstances in which the poem got written. It was one of those thingys where the topic or first line is already given and this is the one topic that appealed to me. The deal clincher was that the competition was being held in an hour that I desperately wanted to bunk...don't remember which hour but my bet is on Prose. So, I sat in the room for the better part of the hour and started writing only when my HOD popped in to check on the progress of the competition. That it won the first prize is more a statement of the fact that there were less than ten people in the competition and only four from the English department!

Morning Whispers

Morning ...
A wintry wind
blowing over the white countryside
rushing through narrow city alleys
howling, biting, freezing, chilling.

Morning ...
A waft of spring
pervading the countryside waking up to spring
tiny flowers beginning to bloom amid the busy city lanes
purging, replenishing, energizing, thrilling.

Morning ...
A hot blast
drying up tender spring blossoms
torrid rays causing salty streams to trickle down heated foreheads
enervating, sweltering, sapping, scorching.

Morning ... 
An overcast sky 
rumblings from gloomy clouds frowning over shrunken rivers
glaring at the city's dust and grime
sultry, enveloping, threatening, sulking.

Morning ...
A light drizzle
the sparkling greenery of the earth
the freshly-scrubbed look of the city
refreshing, invigorating, cooling, soothing.

Morning ... 
A nip in the air
reds, browns and oranges of the woods
fallen leaves swirling around city-parks
rustling, swishing, hastening, surrounding.

Morning ...
the beginning of another brand-new day
so much to be done
so much to be seen
so much to be heard
so much to be learnt
so much to be felt
so much to be experienced
eternal, promising, full of hope.                                                            - Yasmin (22/11/99)
                                                                                                                     

2 comments:

  1. If this is crap then I am waiting for you to write ,which you will think is the best

    ReplyDelete